"Your Work Matters to God"
February 23, 2014 Series: Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
Passage: 1 Peter 2:18–2:25
1. Obedience and honor are required at work toward both respectable and unscrupulous supervisors (1 Peter 2:18).
2. God blesses those who are good workers in the face of difficulties (1 Peter 2:19-20).
3. The way to blessing for cursing is to focus on Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18; 1 Peter 2:21-25).
A. Fall in love with His mercy. Stand in awe that God saved you. Cherish the mercies of God so deeply that giving mercy becomes natural (1 Peter 2:18-25; Romans 12:14, 17a, 20-21; Matthew 5:38-48).
B. Actively perform valued acts of kindness as Jesus did (1 Peter 3:9; Romans 12:17b; 2 Corinthians 8:21).
C. Don’t stir it up. Be as careful as you can to be peaceable (1 Peter 2:22-23; Romans 12:18).
D. Trust God’s justice. God’s promise of coming wrath is worthy of our contemplation (1 Peter 2:23; Romans 12:19; 2 Thessalonians 1:3-10; Revelation 19:11-18).
4. Trusting the Shepherd and Guardian is a powerful Gospel tool (1 Peter 2:9, 10, 12; 1 Peter 2:25).
Eleven Workplace Directives
1. Punctuality, come on time. Don't leave early. Be 10 minutes early and leave 5 minutes late - you might be perceived as a hard worker who likes your job! You might even get better at your
duties and get a raise or a promotion.
2. Do what you are told, immediately. He/she IS the boss.
3. Have a good attitude. Be happy. Get up early enough to make yourself happy because of God. Go to bed early enough so that you can get up early enough to make yourself happy in God.
4. Be a learner, ask questions, listen.
5. Work well with others. No fussiness. You don't have to act the way you feel.
6. Always make the boss look good.
7. Be confident, learn the job so you can do it well.
8. There is a reason it's called work. There is a reason you get paid. Work! Don't text or answer your personal phone on the job! They don't pay you to follow the Olympics.
9. Be honest about everything. Admit your errors. Be easy to correct. Do not falsify your time card.
10. Dress modestly and appropriately. Ladies and gentlemen: go easy on the perfume.
11. Don't gossip. Just don't. Ever. Even when the gossip is true, it's still gossip, even when you are right. It's still gossip.
Life/Community Group discussion guide
1. What was the worst job you ever had? Best job? Why? Was it you or the boss that made it good or the job itself ?
2. Who was the best boss you had?
3. What are some simple workplace guidelines?
4. Fairness is bound up in the America psyche? What are some unfairnesses that you have endured with grace?
5. Do some of the same principles apply to neighbors, relatives, grocery store clerks, husbands and wives, children and parents, etc.? To every relationship we have? Why would Peter single out slaves?
More in Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
June 29, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters - part 2"
June 19, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters"
June 9, 2014"Worried About So Many Things? Get That Fixed Now!"