"Calm in the Storm"
April 13, 2014 Series: Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
Passage: 1 Peter 3:13–3:17
1. At the deepest part of your being, regard Him without rival in all that He is and in all that He demands (1 Peter 3:15; Isaiah 6:1-4; 44:6-8).
"But what does it mean to hallow or sanctify Christ as Lord? It means to regard him as the holiest being in the universe. Regard him as unique, one of a kind, without peer or rival in purity and rectitude and goodness. When the NIV says (in v. 5), "Set apart Christ as Lord," I think it means, ‘Put him in a category by himself—the highest place, the greatest value, the most supreme treasure, the greatest admiration, the most cherished prize, the one you esteem and honor and love the most out of all persons and all things in the world.’"
2. Replace the fear of man by hope in God (1 Peter 3:13-17).
A. Be zealous in hope (1 Peter 3:13).
B. Be fearless in hope (1 Peter 3:14).
C. Defend your hope (1 Peter 3:15).
D. Hope with gentleness and humility (1 Peter 3:15).
E. Hope in purity (1 Peter 3:16).
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. What are our composting idols? Why are they ultimately so attractive? c.f. Romans 1:18-23.
2. Read Isaiah 6 and list all the ways God is God. What would life look like if He truly was our most cherished prize, the One we esteem more than any other? Does our commitment to God sometimes look more like a hobby?
3. How do we develop zeal?
4. T or F We discover what we prize by what bothers us. Why?
5. How would you defend your faith if someone were to ask you about it? What are some categories that we can think about in our defense of the faith?
More in Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
June 29, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters - part 2"
June 19, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters"
June 9, 2014"Worried About So Many Things? Get That Fixed Now!"