"Trust the Lord"
Passage: Psalm 23:1–23:6
1. Psalm 23 calls me to trust in the LORD with my entire life.
2. The covenant LORD, Yahweh, bookends Psalm 23 and is its central focus.
3. We can trust the LORD as our Shepherd because:
A. He provides all that we need.
B. He is our protection from all evil.
C. He leads us to the path we're meant for, namely His glorious plan of salvation.
4. Jesus is the embodiment of Psalm 23, the perfect Shepherd and the goal of our Faith Journey.
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. What has been your own experience with Psalm 23? In other words, where have you heard it read/preached and/or integrated it into your own devotions and studies? How has God spoken to you through this Psalm in these experiences?
2. The shepherd theme runs throughout Scripture. Read the following passages and discuss what they teach about God as our Shepherd and us as God’s flock/sheep. Gen. 49:24; Psalm 95; Isa. 40:11; Matt. 18:12-14.
3. How does the study of the “shepherd passages” above in- form your understanding of Psalm 23 if at all?
4. What does it look like to trust the LORD to provide for our every need? To be our ultimate Protector? Can you give examples from your own life or the life of another?
5. Confession time! If you feel comfortable enough, share an idol in your life in which you trust the protection of some created thing (i.e. a person, theory, political strategy etc…) more than the Creator? Are there any steps you can take to tear down that idol?
6. Now having studied this Psalm in a little more detail with the help of your community group, how has your view of God been transformed? Your view of yourself and others?