"How to be Strong"
May 27, 2014 Series: Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
Passage: 1 Peter 4:12–4:19
1. Act like He's been there before - _____________________________. Don't act surprised. Painful labor and tough times are to be expected (1 Peter 4:12).
2. Trust and rejoice in God's choreographed ____________________________. Focus on the end game: God's purposes. God's testing is al ways for your good (1 Peter 4:19, 3:17; Genesis 50:20).
God causes ___________________ all good and ________________________all evil.
3. Keep looking at the big picture. God's way with us, as was His way with Jesus, is ______________________________________________. The divine pattern is suffering then joy and glory. Tough things are God's will for testing so that we will trust God and rejoice (1 Peter 1:11, 13; 4:12, 19).
4. Know true astounding ___________________________________: as you endure, you are the dwelling place of God. Enjoy the fellowship of suffering. There is a distinct blessing to the Spirit's glory resting on us (1 Peter 4:14; Philippians 3:10; Romans 5:3-5; 8:17- 18).
5. Know the ________________________________________ in pain: think about the alternative (1 Peter 4:17-18).
6. Trust your __________________and keep on doing good (1 Peter 4:19).
Life Group Discussion Guide
1. Do you think using and publicizing the phrase “Boston Strong” helped in getting over the bombing? Why or why not?
2. What kinds of bombs go off in our lives today?
3. When we discuss evil, trouble, pain we use phrases in order to define and understand why God allows them. The most helpful is, “God causes all good and controls all evil.” Does that mean that God never causes evil? Does He always use secondary sources for doing evil? Can God do something evil? Acts 2:22-24; James 1:13; Isaiah 10, Job 1-42, Genesis 50:20; 45:6-8.
4. Why is the Cross the final answer to trouble?
5. How do we feel the glory of God, or the dwelling place of God in our lives?
6. How is it that “with difficulty” believers are saved?
7. What does being strong look like for the believer? Are you strong? What can you do so that you are stronger?
More in Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
June 29, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters - part 2"
June 19, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters"
June 9, 2014"Worried About So Many Things? Get That Fixed Now!"