"The Things that Make for Church (Community)"
January 24, 2016 Series: Follow Me
Passage: Acts 2:42–2:47
How to Find Community at TACC
1. Hospitality: With grateful and hope filled hearts eating meals in each other's homes, enjoying the fellowship and hospitality of God's people with God's provision of food. An attitude of enthusiasm and hopefulness fills each gathering - in plenty and in want, in trials and joyous times. This follows the example of Jesus in the Gospels, and the early church, Acts 2:42-46; Matthew 9:10-13; Romans 12:13-21.
2. The Bible: With the Word of as our guide and catalyst: studying, memorizing, meditating, talking about our experiences of God in the fullness of His tri-unity - together, Timothy 3:14-17; Acts 20:32.
3. Prayer: Praying with God's priorities. Praying the Bible focuses and balances our prayer. Fasting assists our passion, Matthew 6:16-18; 9:10-17.
4. Fellowship: All of life connectedness. Each member represents Christ to every other member. We have a responsibility to each other to be holy, to be a person of the Word, so that we can be Jesus to each other. This life of Jesus connection will manifest itself in our planned gatherings but also in every day, non-programmed life: caring, encouraging, praying, meeting, playing, Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 3:12-13; 10:24-25.
5. Listening: Active listening. Careful compassionate listening. Without advice. Each member is careful not to dominate the gatherings/conversation but strives to be an encouraging listener, James 1:19; Proverbs 13:10; 18:2, 13.
6. Confession: Confessing sins to each other, followed by, "I forgive you and I will dump that memory in the bottom of the sea" - without advice - without reminders - without accountability - unless requested, James 5:16; John 20:23; Psalm 103:12; Micah 7:18-19; Hebrews 8:12; 10:17; Isaiah 43:25.
7. Multiplication Mindset: Developing leaders with a missional mindset, 2 Timothy 2:2.
8. Stranger Friendly: Being stranger friendly. The church grows by inviting others to join in community, even if they do not believe. Members will be always inviting, always open, always accepting, always friendly. Members have a hospitable lifestyle - making new friends continually - inside and outside of church meetings, Matthew 9:10-13; Deuteronomy 10:17-21; Romans 12:13-21; Matthew 4:19.
9. Serving: Serving in the church and outside the church. Group meetings are opportunities to give, help, and serve, Romans 12:1-13; 1 Corinthians 12-14; Jeremiah 29:7.
10. TACC Based: Each member, each gathering operates in and with TACC: connecting with, supporting, and submitting to the church. TACC is lead and protected by our elders who care for and give direction to all our gatherings, Hebrews 13:17; Ephesians 3:9-10.
“We are a community of true believers in Jesus Christ, established by God as His holy dwelling place, who gather together regularly in order to make the glory of God known through the Gospel, using every biblical means possible under recognized spiritual leadership, who care for and affirm each other’s salvation, and then are trained and sent into the world to preach and practice the Gospel and multiply churches everywhere."