"Church Community: Streaming the Grace Benefits of the Gospel Through Baptism - Part 2"
March 13, 2016 Series: Follow Me
Passage: 1 Peter 3:18–22, Romans 6:1–12
Romans 6:1-11; 1 Peter 3:15-21; Colossians 2:8-15; Galatians 3:26-27
1. Baptism is a public declaration by those who have faith in Christ that they are truly trusting in Christ, that they are united with Christ, and that they have committed themselves to Christ, Galatians 2:12; 1 Peter 1:23-25, Romans 6:1-5; Acts 2:38; 8:12-13, 36, 38; 10:47; 16:14, 15, 33, 34; 18:8.
2. Believers baptism is an act of obedience to Christ's command, Acts 2:38; Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 14:37.
3. Baptism is a physical and spiritual experience of the work of God in saving us, Romans 6:3-5; Titus 3:5; Hebrews 9:14.
4. Baptism is the natural expression of repenting and believing in Christ, Acts 2:38; 8:35-36; 10:44-48; 16:33; Galatians 3:26-27.
5. Conversion and baptism are a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit experience, Matthew 28:16-20.
6. Baptism is the new covenant sign of the church/people of God.
7. Baptism is a public commitment to God to persevere in faith until the end, 1 Peter 3:21.
1. How is it that many believers have never been baptized? What is the pattern seen in the book of Acts for believing and being baptized?
2. How can baptism be a means that God uses to give us assurance? How can our baptism be a means to encourage other believers?
3. What pledge should we make to God when we are baptized?
4. What kinds of feelings come with being baptized by immersion? Does the person baptizing you have total control? Does that relate to God's control? What about washing and water? Getting completely wet? Getting chilled? Public profession?
5. What are some practical things we can do to make the day of baptism more meaningful? Is there an age limit, too young too old?