"Not One Word Failed of His Good Promise!"
October 9, 2016 Series: And Yet Jehoiachin Lives
Passage: 1 Kings 8:31–9:9
“For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the LORD our God whenever we call on him? Or what great nation is there that has statutes and judgments as righteous as this whole law which I am setting before you today? Only give heed to yourself and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things which your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life; but make them known to your sons and your grandsons.” Deuteronomy 4:7-9
Teach us to pray toward this place, this Temple, when…, 1 Kings 8:27-30.
1. There is conflict among your people.
Please forgive and act justly. Please keep our relationships right, 1 Kings 8:31-32; Philippians 4:1-2; Galatians 6:1.
2. We are afflicted because we’ve been careless and indifferent about our rebellion against You.
Please forgive and rescue us from our oppressors and restore our joy, 1 Kings 8:33-34; 2 Corinthians 1:23-24; 1 John 1:9.
3. Your goodness is withheld because we have been careless/presumptuous about righteous living.
Forgive us and teach us to live in the right way, 1 Kings 8:35-36; Genesis 3:1; Ezekiel 20:49; Hebrews 12:14.
4. You send trouble by way of famine, pestilence, blight, mildew, enemies, or because of personal or corporate sin.
Please forgive and give us insight into our hearts, and cause us to fear You, 1 Kings 8:37-40; Job 37:13.
5. The stranger hears of You and Your great people, and comes to you, and prays.
Please help us to be an attractively spiritual people. Please hear him, and expand the fame of Your great name. 1 Kings 8:41-43.
6. We are acting in obedience to the Great Commission.
Give our mission success by your grace, 1 Kings 8:44-45.
7. We are in the depths of the trough of Your anger and deserved judgement, and are faltering under the weight of our total devastation.
Cause us to see and hate our sin for what it is – rebellion against the only wise and gracious Sovereign. Humble us and give us great sorrow and great shame, give us a proper hatred for our sin, and please forgive us. Cause our hearts to return to You and restore to us the joy of knowing You, 1 Kings 8:46-53; 2 Corinthians 7:8-11; Daniel 9:1-24; 10:12.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
“Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.” Jude 24-25