"Why's the Wind Always a-Howlin'?"
May 10, 2015 Series: Seasons of the Soul
Passage: Ecclesiastes 3:16–4:16
“We are (a local church is) a community of true believers in Jesus Christ, established by God as His holy dwelling place, who gather together regularly in order to make the glory of God known through the Gospel, using every biblical means possible [preaching, Lord’s Supper, baptism, public reading of Scripture, studying the Bible together, prayer, fellowship, singing, worship, eating together, serving, caring for each other] under recognized spiritual leadership (qualified elders and pastors), who care for and affirm each other’s salvation, and then are trained and sent into the world to preach and practice the Gospel and multiply churches everywhere." 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; Hebrews 10:24-25; Exodus 33; 1 Timothy 3; Titus 1; Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Peter 1:10.
1. Injustice is too common to give us rest; life is full of injustices and no one is exempt from participation or the final result.
Ecclesiastes 3:16 - 22
2. The world is full of oppressive, crooked people who take advantage of others; life is full of opportunists and injustices with no remedy.
3. The work-world is messed up too.
4. Even the white-haired are not necessarily wise.
5. God’s gift to us in the trouble is friendship. It is found in Jesus and the organic and spiritual union of His people - the local church.
Life Group Discussion Questions
1. Have you ever been taken by a huckster?
2. What kinds of problems can plague the working environment?
3. T or F Men have fewer friends than women.
T or F The television, entertainment media have not helped us make friends.
T or F Our view of the local church and friendship need improving.
T or F You can have hundreds of close friends.
T or F Long term friendships are a rarity.
T or F In order to have friends you have to listen and serve.
4. Discuss some skills that are required in order to be a good friend.
5. What does the phrase “throw away church” mean?