"What Should I do with the King?"
March 20, 2016 Series: Follow Me
Passage: John 11:45–12:19
“There is something that pretends to be Christianity which is mostly a mood. The measure of its faith is merely the measure of its feeling.” Elisabeth Elliot
1. Place all your confidence in Him and follow. He’s the perfect substitute for your sin and impending destruction. Following Him is not easy, but it is the only good option. Religious pride will blind your heart to this truth, John 11:45-57; Philippians 3:7-14; 2 Timothy 2:1-10.
2. Love Him, He is the only One worthy of our primary passions, our heart’s desires, our lifelong treasure. Money, people, position, power, and things can steal your love, John 12:1-8; Matthew 13:44-46; Philippians 3:7-14.
3. Live by the Gospel of His reign, in His Kingdom, by His ways, John 12:12-19.
a) He is uncontrollable.
b) He deserves our love, affection, obedience, passions…
c) Take up His book and read with trembling.
d) Trust His reign.
e) Unwind all of life's difficulties on His death, burial and resurrection.
1. Describe God’s Kingdom now. Did you use the word TACC? Why or why not?
2. Was Caiaphas aware of how accurate his prediction was? Why or why not? How did he make that prediction?
3. How far does God’s sovereignty go? What kinds of things does He control, not control? Job 37 talks about the weather. Is He in control of climate change? The coming election? If He is in charge of who the king is, why are some believers so emotional about the coming possibilities? How can we change that?
4. We know we are supposed to love God. Is that love akin to our love for our families? I would venture to guess many of us would say (if we are honest) that our love for God is fairly weak, or that love for God is very different than our love for people. However, God is a person. How can it be true that our loves are different? How can you increase your love for God?
5. Comment on the quotation from Elisabeth Elliot. Do you agree or disagree?
6. Why does the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus fix everything?