"The Edifice Complex"
January 19, 2014 Series: Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
Passage: 1 Peter 2:4–2:12
Affection for Christ, Affection for TACC
God possesses us by His sovereign will (1 Peter 2:9).
The essence of His possession is affection (1 Peter 2:3).
Spiritual affection for Jesus results in spiritual affection for His other possessions (1 Peter 2:1-3; 4:8; Philippians 2:1-5; Ephesians 4:2; John 13:34-35; 1 John 4:7-20).
His Word is the agent for increasing our affections (1 Peter 1:23 – 2:3).
Affection for other believers requires taste buds (1 Peter 2:3). The appetizers for taste buds are hope, holiness and fear (John 14:21).
Affection for Christ, Building TACC, Worship that counts
The chosen, precious foundation for our community at TACC is Christ, the living Stone (1 Peter 2:4).
We must continually go to Him for construction (1 Peter 2:4).
God’s chosen Stone, Christ, means certain rejection (1 Peter 2:4-5).
Life Group Discussion
1. What makes chillin’ out in front of the TV so attractive? Does it help us unwind? Would the Bible, food, petting the dog be a better choice? Why or why not?
2. What makes the Bible hard to understand? What are some tools to help in our understanding?
3. Read John 5:37-47. When we say the Bible’s chief topic is God and re- demption, what does that mean? How can we read the Bible with this in mind?
4. How does reading the Bible, listening to preaching, praying the Bible build TACC?
5. If someone at TACC fails to connect to the Living Stone, does everyone suffer? How would this show up?
6. What should you do, what should your group do, if someone has no taste buds for the Word? Does everyone who is truly a Christian have taste buds for the Word? Why or why not?
7. Why does building TACC on the Living Stone cause the world to reject us?
More in Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
June 29, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters - part 2"
June 19, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters"
June 9, 2014"Worried About So Many Things? Get That Fixed Now!"