"Caring for Obama"
February 16, 2014 Series: Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
Passage: 1 Peter 2:13–2:12
1. For the Lord's sake we willingly, humbly, submit to and honor everybody, every human authority, including President Obama (1 Peter 2:13).
2. It's in the unfairness and suffering that our humility, submission, and fear of God shine. We trust in the sovereign God, who providentially controls every decision, (1 Peter 2:13, 17; Lamentations 3:37-39; Proverbs 21:1).
3. In the midst of this struggle we must love each other (1 Peter 2:17; Galatians 5:13-15).
4. We have been freed from unhealthy reliances to be life and lights as servants of God (1 Peter 2:16; Galatians 5:13-15).
5. The only "lost" Kingdom isn’t lost at all, it’s way is the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:6, 8).
Life/community group discussion questions
1. What person of authority in your life did you have the most trouble with? Why? Maybe the better question is, “Is there a person of authority that you struggle with?”
2. Does Rush Limbaugh exude a Christian mindset toward authority? The answer is "no". What does wisdom say to us about making a habit of listening to him?
3. Would our President be willing to listen to you share the Gospel with him if he heard everything that you said about him?
4. Is our attitude about the President indicative of other problems we have with authority? Is submission, submission, unless you disagree?
5. Why is the phrase "I respect the office but not the person" so deceptive?
6. What is the difference between judging and assigning motives and judging the wisdom of an action?
7. Does God's sovereignty extend to every square inch? Why is it so hard to rely on Him when the events of the day come crashing down?
8. In 1 Peter 2:21 we are CALLED to follow Jesus' example. Does that mean that the advance of the Kingdom of God comes through suffering? Always?
9. What are some positive ways we can cultivate a lifestyle of reliance on the providential care of God?
More in Everyday Church in Relentless Pursuit
June 29, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters - part 2"
June 19, 2014"Bands of Brothers and Sisters"
June 9, 2014"Worried About So Many Things? Get That Fixed Now!"